Friday 30 December 2022

Totnes strapwork. St Mary's cherub sketch carving

The time has come to pay the pew carvings at St. Mary's church Totnes, some long overdue attention. I often drop in there and gaze at them. In a way they are like old friends. I have a mind to make a piece of furniture using the 'corbel' figure carvings and strapwork panels as inspiration.

I am starting with sketch carving the figures, to get a feel for how they fit together. First up, the largest.

The original in the church has a much narrower face. In my mind, too narrow; maybe it was not even supposed to be a cherub. I may have gone too far with that; I might make the final piece a bit narrower.


 It could also do with cheering up! Are cherubs supposed to be happy?

Happy New Cherub!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments here